The BEcoming a Doula Worshop is not just a series of lectures to satisfy certification requirements, it is an exploration into the meaning and value of birth, the doula’s role and the significance of having a doula accompany a woman through this transformative time in her life. It is also an exploration into the meaning of this work for the doula and its impact on her life.
Creating a safe environment for learning, we will use these 4 days together to delve deeply into the topics of birth and birth support and make the connection between the experience of the pregnant woman and new mother and the process of the “expectant” and new doula.
A 3 page list of the learning objectives is available for you but here is the overall summary of what you will explore in this 4 day (8:30AM – 6:00PM) doula workshop:
- Overview of the history, significance of the doula
- The emotional and psychological aspects of giving birth and its significance in women’s lives
- Communication and listening skills including empathy recognition
- The doula’s role, professional ethics, standards of practice, and certification
- Values clarification and cultural sensitivity
- Medical procedures used in labor, labor variations & complications, including Cesarean birth
- Emotional support and physical comfort measures
- Support for difficult labors, Cesarean birth, and Vaginal Birth After Cesarean
- Newborn care and breastfeeding support
- Conducting interviews, prenatal and postpartum visits
- Business skills, record keeping, marketing
- Introduction to DONA International
- The difference between models of maternity care
- How to use a “rebozo” and a “birth ball”
- How to “chung” and do the “double hip squeeze”
- The “mother-baby” and the fourth trimester
- A style of communicating that gets to the heart of the matter
- And much, much more.
Photo Gallery Baby Bump BEcoming a Birth Doula Workshops:
Would you like to schedule a training in your community?